Interesting to think about how different groups of people both within and without the United States would react to this video map…..
Not sure if I’ve ever seen a map so telling, fascination, sad….
Let’s just hope that there’s enough pizza love to support the indispensable ma and pa shops around the country that deliver pizza “worth caring about…”
Recently took this snapshot of a sewer cover here in Round Rock. Afterwards, I was thinking of how many different AP HUG themes were represented here, and here are a few thoughts:
- Politics – One thing we’ve learned since moving to Texas is that you will see a star and you will be reminded that you are in Texas.
- Culture – again, the iconic Texas star is a cultural standard, I wonder if sewer covers in other states have stars?
- Development – let’s not forget what lies beneath – the ability to channel waste we don’t think of to safe places.
- Economics – no income tax in Texas, but I can assure you our property taxes cover the costs of sewer covers.
- Globalization (hard to see, but it was Made in India!) My wife and I were talking about how it could be cheaper to make in India and bring to Texas… still not sure.
- Industrialization – speaking of not sure, need to watch a “How It’s Made” on sewer covers.
- Urbanization – Round Rock is a suburb of the greater Austin metro area.
- Population – Austin is one of the fastest growing cities in the countries; Round Rock is no exception. We flat out chose this place to live, it is perfect for us. However, the population growth requires more and more infrastructure, and more sewer covers. Maybe they get a bulk discount from India….
Curious to see if anyone could offer a different perspective or add more to this cursory analysis!